Friday, July 6, 2007

User Friendly Software is a must!

I think we need to further define user friendly. Most educational software that I have seen involves doing more work to create lessons or projects for our students. Now, we all know what a challenge it is to plan lessons--it is even harder if we have to spend time creating our own animations, or student-centred lesson around a particular topic. So, I'll state simply--I am not a fan of software that requires us to start at ground zero. You may as well call that mission impossible. I hope I'm not sounding like a lazy teacher, but it is really a lot of work!Ideally, we need software and applications that are already made to cater to our curriculum in various subjects and grades. It's even better when they are adaptable (another criteria that I've chosen for my rubric) because then you can tweek it to your personal teaching desires. For those of you who teach math, I have come to really love what's out there in TIPS4RM, a resource that has math activities, lessons, and tonnes of technology ideas and instructions. For example, there are pages with instructions on using graphing calculators for various functions, powerpoint modules, geometer's sketchpad interfaces, etc. These exist for grades 7-10 math and are available to all on the ministry website. If you have not already been using this resource, here's where you can find it. http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/studentsuccess/lms/tips4rm.html

No comments: